Friday, June 16, 2006

Muffet Dolar-Villegas: My Journey with Cancer


As a broadcast-journalist, I am documenting my battle with the Big C as I journey with the Lord in what could be my ultimate trial. I also write about my co-combatants against the Big C, hoping that our readers will know what it is like to be blessed by the Lord worth acknowledging. Please email me your feedbacks.

A Reason for Everything
by Muffet Dolar-Villegas (Blue_bell57@yahoo.com)

A few kind words can make a Big difference between giving up and going on. I have received this email from a beautiful person who touched many lives when she wrote in this newspaper about her painful experience as a mother who deeply grieved over the lost of her unborn child. Her name is Olga.

Pain seems to connect people in some way. It could be in different ways or level. But pain is pain. She writes so beautifully that I asked her permission to publish her encouragement.May this will also serve to encourage others.

Olga wrote,

Dear Mrs. Villegas,

I truly admire your courage as you battle your cancer.
The braveness and graciousness with which you face your trials speak of your tremendous faith in God and of your complete surrender to His oftentimes, unfathomable will.

I remember my conversation with another formidable lady of faith, Dra. Maria Salud Kho, whose body is likewise ravaged by cancer. She sees in her condition the Hand of God guiding her to the path that He wants her to follow.

I, too, am scared of the Big C. I have seen relatives succumb to its destructiveness. I also fear that it would come to me, or worse, to any of my loved ones.

I am terrified at the thought of leaving my loved ones behind, not because I am afraid of death itself, but because I still have a little girl. She still needs me. That is why whenever I would talk to God, just like you, I would ask Him to please give me more time. Just enough until she is ready to stand on her own. You see, my little one still has a lot of growing up to do and she is going to need me during that time. I do not know when God would call me back, but I keep asking, please Lord, not now, not yet?

I decided to write because there is something that I want to share with you. I hope that somehow, this will bring you comfort as it has brought me.

"For every pain that we must bear,
For every burden, every care,
There is a reason.

For every grief, that bows the head,
For every tear drop that is shed,
There is a reason.

For every hurt, for every plight,
For every lonely, pain-wracked night There is a reason.


BUT IF WE TRUST GOD, AS WE SHOULD,
IT WILL WORK OUT FOR OUR GOOD.

For only God knows the reason."

I have been through some rough times lately, so say it lightly. Sir Ely wrote about my story in the May 21, 2006 issue of the Negros Chronicle. He also published the letter that I wrote to him while I was in the midst of my grief.

There is a REASON for everything. I believe in that with all my heart. I get comfort from that Ma’am, believing my pain has a greater purpose and meaning. I hope it will help you too.Please continue to be strong. Never lose your faith.

After all is said and done, there is really nothing left for us to turn to except our faith in God’s loving goodness and how every little thing that happens in our lives fits into His great plan like pieces of a puzzle.

Stay strong. You are my model. If somebody like you never wavers in your faith, how much more the likes of me, so puny are my troubles compared to yours.
I will continue to follow your story and you will be in my prayers always.

Your sister in Christ, Olga

I carry this letter with me, when fear and depression come like dark shadows. I take some time to read Olga’s words. Thank you Olga. I also thank Ely, the publisher of Negros Chronicle for he had encouraged me to write this column, which I thought no one would care to read. I came out of my shell of fear, that people would shun me because I am different. Receiving feedback from different people also encouraged me to publish every issue into a book.

No comments: